Friday, June 20, 2008

Music is Politics

this oil painting is a beautiful creation of the artist, LeeVasu...check him out)

Lost - Sock The Rapper

I woke up this morning feeling like I was forgetting something... And then I remembered my dream, (slightly).

I had a dream that I was the world's greatest performer
and I was singing about the Man and the failures of our former,
Yes Bush was no more and the Man was standing in the corner,
Admiring my vocals as I belted out in his honor...

"Mr. President I admire your strength and your courage
You came out on top and never could have been discouraged!"

My words came out like a freestyle, a spoken word art form,
And then the chorus interrupted and the crowd rumbled like a storm.

"
Fail me not Mr. President, You have come with great precedence, I believe you'll reverse...the sins/bought on us in the past, but Neverrrr again..."

Then I woke with a teary blink..
Strange choice of lyrics, wouldn't you think?
Sing beautiful words I hope will sink in,
But I think I'm questioning the mentioned sin...

What was it? I'm not sure I'm convinced that my head I was in,
But when I opened my eyes I thought of it again...
Juneteenth came and went, do you know of that event?
Probably not, I believe it's something the prevented by our government...


Too bad though, half of us aren't interested enough to find out,
What a day so significant may have actually been about..
Happy Juneteenth I gracefully shout out...
Then I hit my pillow again and I'm out for the count...

TIME Magazine did a spread on Juneteenth, brush up on your African American history.
Oh and of course the less complex poetic form of this post can be found at thekonera.blogspot.com.

4 comments:

Sock The Rapper said...

Great post! We're still getting the message late, just like the slaves did. Thanx 4 using my song too!

T...Mel said...

it's pretty sad this is a proven fact.. but yes keep the songs coming.. I'm gonna need some material lol.

B Harg. said...

the poetic version is much preferred. and you were right about me enjoyin ya blog- youve officially been added to my blog roll

T...Mel said...

lol thanks b. I prefer this version too... it speaks to so many on a completely different level.