Thursday, October 25, 2007

Life Isn't a Sit.Com

A friend once told me my life sounds like a sit.com.... But just what classifies anything a sitcom? Drama here, a few laughs there, a downfall of tears will always have the audience relating to the cast, but when you are the cast, can you physically handle that many emotions in one season? Sounds a bit suicidal. If I could play out one episode of my life, it would probably go something like this....

[Enter Tara, frantically searching for her phone.]
Tara:
It's gotta be somewhere! He hasn't called all day, something has to be wrong, I hope he is okay!
Rrrring!Rrring!
[Tara's phone goes off, could it be him? After 5 more rings, she finds it buried between her bed pillows.]
Tara:
Hell-o? Oh, hey sister, what's up?
Candice: Nothing, are you taking me to class tonight?
Tara: Yes Candice, like I said the first five times.
Candice: Just making sure, see you later.
[Without saying goodbye, Tara hangs up and drops on her bed, with an exaggerated sigh of relief.]
Tara:
Why do I keep doing this to myself? If I want to talk to him so bad, I should just call, but why can't he ever want to talk to me that bad too? Am I asking too much, cause I think it's pretty easy to pick up a phone just to say hi, or send me a text letting me know you miss me? Maybe I am expecting too much, men will never give you what you want. Even if it is just a phone call.

[Deciding to get out of the house, Tara puts on her jacket and heads to her girl's house, to take her mind off Him. Unfortunately, her arrival and her frustration made the night all about him.]
Ronnie:
Just call him Tara, cause what if something did happen? You will never know!
Jess: Tara I really think you need to call him and tell him how you feel, if you're not gonna tell him, don't even call.
Mo Mo: Don't call, until 11.
Tara: I'll call at 11.
[The rest of the night Tara spent her time trying to focus on her favorite television show, but found herself shaking her knees and slapping her thighs, unsuccessfully avoiding the clock hung on her porcelain white wall. After her show, and a slice of pizza and fries, it is time.]
Tara:
Okay, I'm calling, I'll be so disappointed if he doesn't even answer.
Rrringgg...rrrinngg....Rrringggg. "You have reached the voice mailbox of, ___________" Please leave your message after the tone..."
Tara:
No answer [she whispers]. Hey its Tara, just wanted to see how you were doing, give me a call back when you get this alright? Later."
Click.
[The girls sat in silence as Tara tried to hide her disappointment, while her eyes tried to water so she gave a little laugh.]
Tara:
I'm gonna write a paper tonight guys, the whole thing this time.
[Everyone lets out an awkward laugh, and Tara gets ready to leave. No phone call, no messages, no drama yet, no real tears yet. Just shaky legs but she needs to sit.com, because life isn't a sit.com]

T....Mel





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey... that jess chick sounds hot

but life isnt a sitcom.. guess we gotta get back 2 reality... LOVE U TMEL!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

i love it Tara! Only a true writer can find inspiration from a stupid joke, love ya!

$upreme Bean$ said...

hey this is really good stuff...
i mean granted its ur life and all, but u gotta mix the good with the bad...

ps. u should look into scene-writing...............